Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Time




“Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”

If I could have control of one thing in the world, it would be time. I would harness all of the control that time has over my life and bottle it away forever. I want the time to see the people that I adore and to do the things I never take the time to do. Being a slave to time eats away at my very existence. It steals my joy and harbors possibility. It keeps me from sitting down face to face with the people I count special and having a truly meaningful conversastion. Time is darkness...a bottomless pit that would love to suffocate me.

My father used to have a hobby of building clocks. His workshop was brimming with lumber, wood glue, clock faces, and hands. I would sneak away from my mom sometimes and go to his workshop. When I was very young, he would let me sit on the work bench and watch him sand or stain the wood. I loved the smell of that workshop. Sometimes, he would let me hold things for him or hand him the necessary tools. He took his time because he wanted the clock to be perfect. And to no surprise, they always were perfect. My father taught me that all great things take time. But the greatest lesson he gave me was how to love others, and I know now that loving others takes time. He is a quiet man--a man of few words. The ones I will cherish the most are, "I love you."

Among my greatest relationships are my family, lifelong friends who live close enough that I could see them each day, and friends that I pine over because they are so far away. Today I wonder if all of those people know how much I truly love them. Can I say it too many times? Would they cherish it in their heart as I do the words of my father?

2 comments:

selahV said...

this is great...and I cherish it that you love me and are the most loyal friend, other than my husband, that I have on this earth. Bet you didn't know that did you?

TNT said...

I didn't know that! You made my day with that comment. I do love you always and my memories with you are beautiful!